Direct Cremation with Memorial Service
A Simple Direct Cremation – with something more.
Yonkers Funeral Home-Bryn Mawr Chapels offers our client families a unique service experience – the simplicity and convenience of a direct cremation to start with a memorial service including a gathering of family and friends in the Funeral Home at a later time. We recognize not everyone belongs to a church or congregation. We offer a neutral, tasteful space for you to welcome others for a celebration of the deceased’s life. Bring photos, video, flowers, and some kind words for every to recognize a life lived. Some families engage a minister or pastor, or a celebrant to lead the service, while some are comfortable officiating services themselves. Bryn Mawr Chapels offers printed memorial items and cremation urns to complete the memorial service experience. Below you will find a list of the costs involved in arranging a cremation service with a memorial gathering to follow in Yonkers, New York.
Our Cremation with Memorial Service arrangement includes the following:
Direct Cremation Service Charge: $895.00
- Placing the deceased into our care when a death happens in a Hospital or Nursing Home, or a response to a Medical Examiner facility in our local service area of Yonkers or Westchester County, also The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. Transport is facilitated by a Licensed Funeral Director, required by New York State Health Laws in a vehicle such as a late-model SUV or Mini-Van appropriate to the dimensions of the equipment needed by our staff including s a mortuary gurney or stretcher. There may be an additional fee for service where there is a death at a home ($150.00), or if we need to travel beyond our basic service area such as to Rockland, Putnam or Dutchess Counties in the Hudson Valley Region, or Nassau and Suffolk Counties on Long Island.
- 24-Hour on-call availability and basic Funeral Home care and sheltering of the body in a temperature-controlled environment long enough for us to obtain signed documentation from the person in charge of the deceased’s affairs, obtaining a death certificate from a physician or health care facility along with presentation to a municipal clerk, and scheduling of the cremation with a crematory. Embalming is NOT REQUIRED when arranging a Direct Cremation, but if you wish, the body may be bathed and dressed prior to delivery to the crematory. You may discuss your concerns for preparation with our arrangement counselor.
- Providing the party in charge with all necessary consumer price disclosures and authorization forms. You may choose to meet with our Licensed Funeral Director in person, at the Funeral Home, or receive these documents via e-mail, fax, or carrier such as UPS, FedEx or the US Postal Service.
- Cardboard alternative container. The crematory facility requires that a body of a deceased be tendered to them in a rigid container protecting the identity of deceased along with the health and safety of the crematory operation personnel. The alternative container is of a simple design, constructed of cardboard, and is cremated along with the body. It is not lined, or contain an interior or pillow compared to a traditional casket.
- Transit of the body, in the alternative container from our location in Yonkers to the crematory and accompanied by a Licensed Funeral Director in accordance with New York State Health Regulations. The vehicle is a late model SUV or Mini-Van suitable to the dimensions of the alternative container. A hearse or traditional Funeral Coach vehicle is available and may be selected by you, at an additional cost. Please notify us if you wish to purchase the use of the traditional vehicle when finalizing service arrangements with Bryn Mawr Chapels.
The Memorial Service At The Funeral Home
The use of the Funeral Home for a memorial service is $495.00 with a staff supervision fee of $375.00 and will be added to the Direct Cremation Service Charge of $795.00. There is no time frame for having the memorial – we understand your friends or family that wish to visit may need to make travel plans – or perhaps you just want to wait, or have the service as soon as possible. We suggest the memorial service last no more than three hours and can be scheduled for the early evening hours during weekdays, and afternoon hours over weekends. Our gathering area is spacious, and tastefully decorated. We suggest the purchase of printed memorial cards (starting at $150.00) and a cremation urn. Please speak to our service coordinator about your needs for a memorial service at our Funeral Home in Yonkers, New York.
Additional Fees that MUST be added to the above
- Crematory Fee: $407.00. Ferncliff Cemetery, Hartsdale New York. For the actual cremation of the body. Remember, we DO NOT operate the crematory equipment on our premises. Therefore this process must be performed by a crematory. The crematory cannot act as a Licensed Funeral Director, and cannot perform the tasks listed above.
- Cremation Permit: $20.00 if a death occurs in Yonkers or any region of New York State except New York City. $40.00 if a death occurs in New York City. This is the permit issued to Yonkers Funeral Home-Bryn Mawr Chapels by the Department of Health & Mental Hygiene or a local registrar of Vital Statistics for the cremation. It accompanies the deceased to the crematory and the crematory will not perform the cremation unless presented with a valid permit to do so.
- Copies of the Death Certificate: $10.00 each for a death in any part of New York State beyond New York City, $15.00 each plus a shipping and handle fee of $23.75 when the death takes place in New York City. These copies may be referred to as a “Certified Copy” of the death certificate and bears the official seal of the municipal entity where the person passed away. These copies are legally recognized and used to transact business on behalf of the deceased such as life insurance claims, financial and estate matters, probating of a will, social security benefits, or the transfer of real property. The number of copies require will be determined by the number of assets the person had.
- Gratuities: $10.00. Covers tolls, parking fees, and gratuities to hospital and crematory staff for their assistance.
The average cost of a cremation with memorial service arranged thru Bryn Mawr Chapels, Inc. is $2143.00 for a death in Yonkers or Westchester County, with a response to a Hospital or Nursing Home or Medical Examiner Facility, and $2211.75 for a death in New York City, also to a Hospital, Nursing Home or Medical Examiner facility. The above charges reflect our Direct Cremation Service Charge, Crematory Fee, Cremation Permit, Five Certified Copies of the Death Certificate, Gratuity, and New York City Fee for the Shipping and Handling of the Death Certificate Copies. Click here to download our most recent General Price List (GPL) and direct cremation pricing flyer. If a death is imminent, or has taken place, please visit our helpful information page here. For information on advance planning of services, visit our “Advance Planning” section of our site.